Veterans, Get The Pain Management Assistance You Need

Relief from pain can be a tough battle to fight, and veterans have a few unique situations that can make their pain a little different from the civilian experience. Although many people have tough, arduous jobs--some even more so than some parts of military service--veterans don't always have access to the medical care they need after leaving the military. If you're trying to get a civilian job or hold onto a job while dealing with the leftover pain from your service days, take a look at a few ways that medical professionals and Veterans Affairs can help. 

How Can Veterans Affairs Help?

Veterans Affairs (VA) offices are equipped to help veterans in their time of need, but you need to seek the assistance and allow them to help you by providing the right amount of information.

The most basic level of assistance is in the form of hospital outpatient and clinic services. As long as you qualify for the VA's basic medical care--usually by simply having an other-than-dishonorable discharge--you can receive the same services that you'd expect from a doctor's office or emergency room visit without further referral. 

A major downside of the service is that since it's free (or at least low cost in some situations), there are a lot of veterans seeking these services. Depending on your area's population, you could be in a long wait at the VA clinic. Thankfully, it's not difficult to visit another clinic, although you'll need to fill out a bit of confirmation paperwork at every new clinic to create your profile at that clinic.

At this part of VA care, the VA can prescribe some basic pain medication and perform a few health checks. Physical therapy is also an option, but you won't receive any in-depth services for free unless you qualify for the VA disability program.

VA disability is for veterans with service-connected conditions, meaning that the pain you have (and even some problems you may not know you have) were caused by military service or became worse because of military service. You'll need to prove these claims by having evidence from the military in most cases, but a second opinion from civilians medical professionals can help you get better care at lower costs.

Civilian Pain Relief And Management Assistance

Some of your evidence may not match the VA's expectations. In order to receive VA disability benefits for pain, the VA needs to clearly see the cause of your pain. Unfortunately, being in pain can't be detected, no matter how in pain you look or sound.

The VA's system isn't perfect, and they're aware of the mistakes that can happen at any medical facility--Veterans Affairs or otherwise. For this reason, the VA will accept medical evidence for review from outside sources. 

Be sure to speak with a pain relief professional, like those at Davidson Chiropractic Clinic, to get a deep analysis of your situation. Explain the pain you're dealing with, how you think it could be related to military services and the fact that you're trying to receive VA benefits. The medical staff can examine your situation and help you get the benefits you deserve.

VA benefits help you and the pain relief professional at the same time. Even when you're approved for disability, VA wait times are still a problem. The VA is often happy to give you a referral to a local, verified professional as long as the proper paperwork is filled out, so stay in contact with your pain relief professional to get the expedient care you need while being a great, guaranteed client.